Wednesday 4 October 2017

Professional Dreamer - journal page

Hi there, how was your week? Good I hope?
Do you like swaps? Or travelling journals (or round robins if you call them this way)?
I have to admit I really LOVE this second concept - although due to my busy schedule I had to really limit this kind of activity. It's sad for me as it's a pleasure to work on my journal which - soon - I'd be sending to people I admire, hoping to get it back after some time, full of amazing artworks, messages and inspiration. And there is something magical, really exciting, about opening a package where you can see somebody's beautiful book - a mystery and a feast for your senses at the same time...  This moment when you look at the pages done by artists who had this treasure in their hands before you, trying to imagine their creative process, look over their shoulder for a while and simply admire the Art...
Priceless, really.
These all the things I really love about the travelling journals  - but there are some things which are not as nice: packages lost on the way or stuck somewhere for months... or simply lack of time to work in them, this awkward moment when you have this precious book on your table staring at you but you know that for the next few days You won't be even able to touch it.
But I will you the secret now - there is one thing I REALLY hate about projects like that: no topic to follow, instruction, challenge or inspiration included in the book.
I know this concept works perfectly for many people - just create freely, without boundaries and restrictions. Well, it doesn't work for me. Even the shortest, slightest hint is able to sparkle my creative process, while "open" topic is causing a headache, frustration and creative blocks.
It's almost like an interview without questions.
"Just tell us something about yourself". Nope. It doesn't work for me.
My close friend told me once the easiest way to make me talk and find answers and create is to ask me the right questions. She couldn't be more right...

The page I'm showing below was created for one of the "travelling journals" which belongs to the artist which I know and admire. It took me far too long to make it... because I didn't know what I want to do!
My problem is that more than anything else I'm a visual storyteller... It's hard for me to tell those stories if I don't have anybody to ask me to start! Once I know the beginning - the story continues and I enjoy the process with all my heart and soul... but to start, I have to have some image or idea on my mind, a prompt, a hint...
This time everything started with an imaginary image of a girl surrounded by butterflies - and beautiful colours and textures of "Dreamscapes" collection from 7 Dots Studio. Soon after I cut the papers everything started to come together: layer by layer I was glueing next elements down - tags, scraps of paper and masking tape. My Art Basics Soft Gloss Gel was a great help, sealing everything perfectly. After adding some 3D Gloss Gel through the 7DS stencil for extra texture I started working  with Art Basics Heavy White Gesso and shimmering sprays to create background colours. Then I glued the images of the girl and butterflies down using Soft Gloss Gel again, and when the surface was dry I coated the whole page with Art Basics Clear Gesso to make it easier to work on - with pencils, crayons and pens.
The final colour touches were done using watercolour pencils, water soluble oil pastels and a very soft pencil. To add extra eye-catching shie I rubbed a bit of my Art Alchemy White Gold Metallique Wax on the top pf the stencilled design. Simple - but so pretty! At the very end, I added those tiny white dots - aren't they lovely? A white Sharpie was perfect for this job!

This way, step by step I created the whole page - and I really enjoyed it - once I knew what I wanted to do of course! And what about you? do you prefer to create without topic or do you prefer some hints, restrictions, ideas? Let me know!

Here is the selection of the products I used to make this page
- linked to our Mixed Media Place Store:

Sending creative hugs

7 comments:

Lemon Creation said...

Such a beautiful page! And such a cool idea to swap journals, although I am very happy with swapping ATC's for the moment:) It's good to work with some prompts, but not too many. But there are days when I just need to do sth completely mine, no strings attached. Hugs, Asia

simo said...

Wow...just looking at this page one would never imagine that YOU sort of struggle to start...it's lovely! But I'm with you in this...I definitely prefer work with prompts or hints about the overall subject. From time to time I do enjoy to create just for the sake of it, but a theme of some sort just keeps more focused!
Anyway...great job as always Anna!
Hugs xxx

Patty O'Malley said...

Fabulous page! I agree--it helps to know the direction to go in!

Scrap y Cía said...

How I understand you!!!! I Subscribe everysingle word, especially when you define yourself as a "Story Teller" , Whenever I begin a new project, rings a bell in my head! And there we go trying to tell a story...
Congrats! It's a gorgeous work!!! :)

corinne de france MARCH said...

Sometimes I create freely, everything comes, and sometimes I need a challenge to follow, an inspiration ;-)

Unknown said...

I prefer a theme or prompt to work with so I know where I am going. My imagination then inspires me where to take this piece of art.

Wendy said...

The story of your page suggests nothing of your struggle to begin. It's lovely! I usually struggle with my journal pages. Never mind any prompt or idea, I still struggle. I think I may need more time playing just to learn about the properties of my supplies and the process.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...